History of Independent Pictures
1993 – 1994: Organization designed as alternative film festival under the name Off-Hollywood Flick Fest. First festival held and exhibited only Cleveland based artists.
• Incorporation and non profit status acquired
• Introduction of Panel Discussions Program and adopts the name Ohio Independent Film Festival. Instituted formal call for entries process and received films from all over the world.
• Inaugural screenplay competition
• Inaugural Film Production Internship Program (the first educational program in Northeast Ohio where participants learn about making movies in a real-world, professional environment)
• Introduction of our Fiscal Agent Sponsorship Program
• Partnership with the NYC-based Association of Independent Video and Filmmakers to produce AIVF Salons
• Inaugural Off-Hollywood Oscarz, independent film awards
1998: Inaugural Film Market with Big Film Shorts – a Burbank Ca. based company that distributes short films 2000: Inaugural concurrent online film festival with AlwaysI.com
2002: After an intensive planning process, organization name was formally changed to Independent Pictures.
2004: Collaboration with Cleveland State University on short script contest and Film Production Training Program
2005 – 2007: Continuation of organizations programs including film festival, workshops, and script contest 2008: Grant funded Film Production Internship Program to train adults
2014: Bernadette Gillota, Independent Pictures’ sole remaining founder, steps down to pursue personal film projects. Board restructure process involves scaling down the original multi-day Ohio Independent Film Festival event to a one-day event appropriately titled, One Night Only.
2016: The first One Night Only event is held
2017: One Night Only event was held on Friday, November 3
2018: One Night Only event was held on Saturday, November 3, with a pre-festival Networking Party the evening before
2020: The final One Night Only event was held virtually in response the COVID-19 pandemic.
2023: Independent Pictures continues to focus solely on Fiscal Sponsorship projects and other projects that support independent filmmakers.